Feb 2, 2020
In this episode of Change It Up Radio, we’re talking about the power of the words conceive, believe, and achieve in the lives of people in every life circumstance.
I’m calling this show today “Conceive, Believe, Achieve” because that is the motto of a group called Rise Up Industries, and their purpose is helping men getting out of prison to survive and not be among the statistics of far too many that return to a life of crime.
Today's guest, Leslie Willis, works with Rise Up Industries and is the editor of “Writing After Life: Stories from Those Who Served a Life Sentence,” a book of true stories written by formerly incarcerated individuals about their childhoods, transformations in prison, and the challenges and rewards of receiving a second chance at life.
Leslie joins me today to discuss helping to break the cycles of incarceration and recidivism and how we can find our common humanity through the sharing of stories.
- Coping with a loss, hardship, or tragedy that we struggle with accepting or making sense of
- How acceptance is a powerful healer and why it’s necessary before we can move to recovery
- What people can do to help those who are incarcerated and/or those re-entering society
- How Rise Up Industries helps train, employ, and mentor formerly incarcerated individuals
- Why an individual’s childhood often plays a huge role in how and where they end up in life
- Breaking the cycle of incarceration and recidivism and helping to transition back into society
- How stories help us transform our perspectives of the world and build a greater connection
For the full show notes visit: www.ChangeItUpRadio.com