Dec 16, 2019
In this episode of Change It Up Radio, we’re talking about the fight to end human trafficking and technology-enabled abuse.
Sex trafficking is a crime where individuals (especially women) are forcefully involved in commercial sex acts. Supply and demand have increased exponentially over the years, due in large part to the internet.
Today, many traffickers utilize social media to lure and manipulate victims and market minors and trafficked victims for the purpose of prostitution and sexual exploitation. Abuse has gone digital, and technology is increasingly used to commit acts of domestic violence, sexual violence, stalking, elder abuse, and human trafficking.
Summer Stephan, San Diego County's District Attorney, has devoted her life to protecting children and families and providing justice to the voiceless and most vulnerable. She joins me today to discuss who is pulling the strings behind human trafficking, how they're reaching and trapping individuals into sexual exploitation, and how we can keep ourselves and our loved ones safe in the fight against human trafficking.
Adam Dodge, Founder of EndTAB.org (Ending Technology-Enabled Abuse), is dedicated to addressing existing and future threats posed by technology to victims of crime and gender-based violence. He joins us today to address existing and future threats posed by technology, and the ways in which technology is misused and weaponized to harm vulnerable victims of crime, such as victims of domestic violence, sexual violence, stalking, elder abuse, and human trafficking.
- How human traffickers control and exploit individuals through the use of force, deceit, or coercion
- Why victims that are forced into human trafficking struggle and often can not escape their situation
- How social media is used for easy deception and to lure and manipulate victims into trafficking
- Why victims of sexual exploitation and human trafficking don't always seek help from others
- The importance of talking with our children to bring awareness and build resiliency around them
- The ways in which technology is misused and weaponized to harm vulnerable victims of crime
- Several tips for staying safe online and helping victims to reclaim ownership of their digital lives
For the full show notes visit: www.ChangeItUpRadio.com